Home Swansea City

Swans U18s lose to Millwall

Swans U18s 1 Millwall U18s 4

Swansea City under-18s suffered defeat to Millwall in the Professional Development League at Landore after conceding two first-half penalties.

The Swans hosted the Lions in a clash that marked their first home league game since August, but fell thanks to goals from Tom Leahy, Kyle Smith, and a brace for forward Zak Lovelto.

The Swans were victims of their own defensive errors, giving away two penalties in the first half, with the second coming in the dying moments of the period, to turn the tide in favour of the visitors.

Swansea had pulled a goal back in the first half, thanks to a moment of excellence from Cameron Congreve, but hopes of a positive result were dealt a hammer blow by a cluster of goals conceded in the period around half-time.

This defeat marks the third consecutive defeat in all competitions for Byron Anthony’s side, but they had looked lively early on, as Congreve dribbled through three Millwall shirts before laying the ball off to Charlie Veevers on the edge of the box.

The midfielder dragged his effort just left of the post to notch the hosts’ first effort of the game just two minutes in.

The Lions formed a dangerous attack of their own a few moments later, with forward Lovelto putting his point-blank effort just wide of the goal.

Swans keeper Ben Hughes was tested early and often, answering the call to action on each occasion while, at the other end, Kieran Petrie’s goal-bound strike was deflected just high of the crossbar.

But the hosts fell behind in the 13th minute, when Filip Lissah was penalised for a challenge in the area and forward Leahy sent Hughes the wrong way from the spot to give his side the lead.

The Swans were undeterred, immediately looking for their equaliser which was almost found when Veevers played a through ball to Kyrell Wilson.

Ultimately, though, the hosts did not have to wait long to find their opening goal.

Petrie found Congreve on the edge of the box, and the midfielder did the rest on his own, skipping past defender Bobby Dailly and tucking the ball into the bottom right corner with his left foot.

Wilson had a chance to give the hosts a quick-fire lead just four minutes after the Swans found their first, but his effort was tipped over the bar by keeper George Evans.

Lissah then made a superb block by getting in front of Lovelto’s close range shot, clearing any danger and keeping the score level at 1-1.

But the Swans would fall behind just before the interval from another penalty. Full-back David Roberts bringing down Romain Esse, with Lovelto finding the net from the spot despite keeper Hughes getting a hand to his strike.

The hosts would have wanted to respond soon after the break, but instead Millwall extended their lead with a fine move that was finished by skipper Smith just a minutes into the second half.

Petrie then split the centre backs with a threaded ball to find Wilson running through on goal, as the Swans looked to claw their way back in, but Josh Stephenson did well to track back and clear the ball out of the danger.

The Lions then made it four with Lovelto firing past Hughes from the left flank to leave the Swans facing an uphill battle.

Zane Myers came close to pulling one back for the hosts when he hit the inside of the post after being sent through on goal by a lofted ball from captain Josh Edwards, but there was no way back for the Swans.

Swansea City U18s: Ben Hughes; David Roberts, Zane Myers, Filip Lissah, Richard Faayke; Charlie Veevers, Adrian Akande, Josh Edwards (captain), Cameron Congreve (Aimar Govea, 46); Kyrell Wilson (Rohan Davies, 71), Kieran Petrie (Kian Jenkins, 63)..

Unused subs: Ryan Bassett, Tyler Evans.

Millwall U18s: George Evans; Kyle Smith (captain) (Oliver Evans, 89'), Sashiel Adon-Malaks, Ernie Cheeseman, Bobby Dailly; Josh Stephenson, Romain Esse, Finley Cotton; Zak Lovelto, Ramez Hekalla, Tom Leahy.

Unused subs: Kallen Donaldson, Arezlci Hamouchene, Loquay Coleman.


  • Having gone to the game, I’d say that’s a pretty fair minded report on the official site. 

    We had a decent first half and our team appeared well balanced, particularly in midfield.  The weather was atrocious, but that works both ways, of course.  Easy to say in hindsight, but perhaps the decision to take Cameron Congreve off at half-time (tactical in advance of Monday’s U23 game?) did us no favours.  Not that his replacement Aimar Govea did anything wrong, but Congreve was certainly the player who was making things happen for us up to then. 

    Millwall’s players were sharp, passed well and were also well-trained in the dark arts – both penalties came from designer falls.  Having said that, our defence was naïve and our wayward passing often created its own problems.  The distribution from the back got worse as the game progressed and heads went down after the 4th went in on 61 minutes.   Millwall were well worth their victory.  We were fortunate to escape a bigger hiding.

    Players to emerge with credit were ‘keeper Ben Hughes, who was offered very little protection, Congreve and Josh Edwards.  After a long spell out with injury, Kian Jenkins came on at left back at 4-1 down and did reasonably well in difficult circumstances.  

  • Managed to come across some video highlights of this game whilst looking for some Millwall U23 information...

Sign In or Register to comment.